Thursday, May 25, 2017

Bardian Radio

I GUESS THE ONLY REAL BARDIANS ON THIS STATION ARE THE YEAH YEAH YEAHS, WHO I NOW THINK OF AS A GREAT BAND EVER SINCE PANDORA EXPOSED ME TO THE TRACK "ROCKERS TO SWALLOW" FROM THE "IS IS" EP. STILL, I THINK OF THIS STATION AS INCORPORATING ARTISTS WHO BEST EXEMPLIFY THE AESTHETICS OF BARD COLLEGE. THERE ARE BEATNIKS OUT THERE IN THE WOODS, EXHIBITING URBAN TENDENCIES IN A PASTORAL SETTING ! (JUNE 2009) Returning to this station after a five-year absence, I want Bardian Radio to reflect the personality of Bard students in the years that I attended that college, 1993-1995. I know I want to include the bands I saw there live as artist seeds; these would include "The Feelies", "The Mekons", "Morphine" and "Ani DeFranco." I also want to include the "Yeah Yeah Yeahs" as they are a band that was formed by Bard students. Other Bard bands I could include would be "The Beastie Boys" (Adam Yanuch dropped out of Bard after a year) and "Elliot Sharp" but I don't think I want my station to reflect those tastes. I want to give more of a characterological impression of the introverted personae of Bard students who spend all their time studying dialectical materialism and the philosophy of language. ========== After some thought, I have decided to create my Bardian radio station out of the following seeds: Bands I saw live on Bard campus: including the Feelies, the Mekons, Morphine and Ani DiFranco. Musical performers and composers on Bard's faculty: including Joan Tower and the American Symphony Orchestra (Bard's President Leon Botstein is the conductor) who I saw perform frequently while at Bard. Bands formed by Bard students: the Yeah Yeah Yeahs are the only seed featured; it has been objected that I ought to include Steely Dan, but I have decided against this as that would turn "Bardian Radio" into a classic rock station. I have other Pandora stations which feature classic rock as the dominant genre. Also, I have decided to include Nick Cave, Citizen Cope and Galaxie 500 as bands that comprise (part of) Bard's sonic ideological makeup. It's possible that I will delete Galaxie 500, as they might serve me better on my "Postpunk" radio station. I have also decided that, while they are not station seeds, all songs by "The Strokes" and "The Killers" should be rated with a 'thumbs-up' (April 2014). =========== Returning to this station nine years after it was created, I decided I do not like The Killers anymore, so I gave a "thumbs-down" to their song "Mr. Brightside". If anymore Killers come up I will similarly apply a negative aesthetic judgement signifying my wholehearted disapproval of said track. Special thanks to Marcel, who disgorged my unrevised station descrption which I am posting to my blog (May 25, 2017). https://www.pandora.com/station/853160914102446

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home