Monday, February 01, 2016

TOP 20 ALBUMS I PURCHASED AS NEW RELEASES

These are the albums that I purchased when they were newly released that made the deepest impact on me: 1) BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN - BORN IN THE U.S.A. 2) BOB DYLAN - THE BOOTLEG SERIES, VOLUME 1-3 3) R.E.M. - AUTOMATIC FOR THE PEOPLE 3) THE GRATEFUL DEAD - IN THRE DARK 4) DAVID BOWIE - ZIGGY STARDUST: THE MOTION PICTURE 5) PUBLIC ENEMY - IT TAKES A NATION OF MILLIONS TO SET US BACK 6) THE SMITHS - THE QUEEN IS DEAD 7) NIRVANA - NEVERMIND 8) NEIL YOUNG - FREEDOM 9) MADONNA - MDNA 10) HUSKER DU - WAREHOUSE: SONGS AND STORIES 11) LOU REED - NEW YORK 12) BOB DYLAN - MODERN TIMES 13) VAN MORRISON - TOO LONG IN EXILE 14) DAVID BOWIE - LET'S DANCE 15) PINK FLOYD - THE FINAL CUT 16) LOU REED & METALLICA - LULU 17) LYLE LOVETT - PONTIAC 18) RICHARD THOMPSON - AMNESIA 19) THE POLICE - SYNCHRONICITY 20) BOB DYLAN - OH MERCY =============================================== The Rabbi wrote: This list contains no Stevie Wonder, and is therefore invalid. Andrew says: I didn't buy "IN SQUARE CIRCLES" when it was a new release, in fact I never bought a Stevie Wonder as a new release. MY HISTORY LISTENING TO STEVIE WONDER: I taped SONGS IN THE KEY OF LIFE, which Ivar had in his brother's record collection, I bought TALKING BOOK as a used record from Tapeville USA in Nanuet NY and I got INNERVISIONS when I got a CD player (but I gave my copy to Heather Lynch, as I did not enjoy it that much) -- when I lived in North Carolina I purchased HOTTER THAN JULY on a tape which I still have ! And if you fast forward another 20+ years you will see that I purchased JOURNEY THROUGH THE SECRET LIFE OF PLANTS as a used double-disc set in 2013, I downloaded it onto my computer but I still have not played it yet.... (I knew that some of you guys would have trouble understanding this list. Again, this list is only albums that I purchased when they were newly released.) THE RABBI WROTE: in that case, your list should include numerous D'Angelo, Kendrick Lamar, and Paul Simon albums, as well as "The Ghost of Tom Joad" by Bruce Springsteen. Andrew says: Again, (you seem to be having a problem understanding the idea behind this list,) as I did not purchase any albums by D'Angelo, K. Lamar or "The Ghost of Tom Joad", in that initial six-month sales period when they were "NEW RELEASES", they do not qualify for my list. I did acquire Paul Simon's Graceland when it came out, but I do not think it influenced me as much as the other albums on my list. I'm sure d'Angelo, Kendrick Lamar and the Ghost of Tom Joan are all fine works of art in their own right, but.....etc. The Rabbi wrote: BUT YOU SHOULD HAVE Andrew says: I wanted to note Prince's Sign "O" the Times, I think it qualifies - I heard it in 1986 when it came out, but I did not buy it. Same with Van Morrison's Hymns to the Silence, probably the best album ever released during my lifetime, but I did not listen to it closely/attentively, I did not come to appreciate it until much later.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home