Friday, December 04, 2015

My Black Power radio station

I originally created this station in 2007 because I wanted to listen to black music from the 1970s and I felt that there were no viable commercial outlets to expose me to this music. I used to list to Kiss-FM growing up in my sister's room and there was a radio station in North Carolina that I used to listen to in the late 1990s when I lived in Winston-Salem, but I have always been unable to find succor in the minimal black music that is commercially available via the popular airwaves. Exposure to black music in modern America has shrunk steadily since the emergence of Rap, it's only featured in commercials, on television and in movies, but even then it is only given to us in charicature form thru Quentin Tarantino movies and such like. From this station's inception until about 2010, the time when I left NJ and moved to Massachusetts, I listened to this station frequently and at the time the station was dominated by militant black artists such as James Brown and Gil-Scott Heron, Richard Pryor and The Last Poets, but also popular artists like The Isley Brothers and Donny Hathaway. When I settled into my residence at the Castle Court apartments in 2011, I decided to dedicate this station to Curtis Mayfield and the various permutations of George Clinton's musical genius, including Parliament and Funkadelic. Jacob Goldfarb once said I have a funk "deficit" in my music-listening regimen but he has yet to hear this station, which I am sure will expose him to a lot of music that he thought was buried in the sands of time. Turn this one up and enjoy ! - ABN P.S. I also added Sly Stone's instrumental, "My Gorilla is My Butler" as a song seed to enliven the mix, as this track served to initiate me into the student life of Bard College campus in Annandale-on-Hudson. (The sad truth is I stayed away from the Tewksbury dorms, I only eavesdropped once or twice on my way from Olin Hall to the room I shared with Amar Kakodkar at the "Toasters".) http://www.pandora.com/station/play/225505131888158894

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home