Monday, February 01, 2016

Dead Fan Radio

I created this station in 2007 to be a way of presenting my favorite band, The Grateful Dead - but I didn't just stop with the Dead as my single artist seed. What I originally wanted to do then was to establish an amalgam of the Grateful Dead's musical ethos by incorporating several additional musical performers. I chose the HAPPY MONDAYS, THE NEW BOHEMIANS and the ZEN TRICKSTERS, plus I used several Dead songs as seeds, mostly live versions, including MORNING DEW, BERTHA, BIG RAILROAD BLUES, FIRE ON MOUNTAIN and JACK STRAW. In short, this station was my attempt to present a contemporary and popular music-oriented version of what it means to be a Grateful Dead fan in the new millennium. I returned to this station in 2009 and added JEFFERSON AIRPLANE and PHISH and I added STEVE MARTIN (the comedian) as an artist seed in 2013, when Pandora allowed you to add comics and funny-men. In 2015 I removed all the songs seeds and some of the earlier artist seeds and, instead, I added different Grateful Dead song seeds (studio cuts mostly), like UNBROKEN CHAIN, RAMBLE ON ROSE, ATTICS OF MY LIFE, CUMBERLAND BLUES, plus a live version of WHARF RAT from 1976 (my favorite year for Dead live recordings) and also my favorite GD song -- Stella Blue. By this time the station had dozens of Grateful Dead song favorites on filer, and so I deleted The Grateful Dead as my original artist seed. Let's see how this station plays now after that trick ! Just press play and I think you'll find yourself on the corner of Haight and Ashbury streets in the blink of an eye..... (August 18, 2015) http://www.pandora.com/station/219743446145476782

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home