Saturday, January 12, 2019

Improbable story

My primary care physician, Dr. Stephen Kaplan, wants me to get my labs done every six months but I have protested that it is inconvenient for me to do so and thus I only get them done once a year. When I lived in New Milford NJ and developed a seizure disorder my doctor, Dr. Howard Maker, chief of neurology at Bergen Regional Medical Center, a dreary state hospital in Bergen County, used to make me get lab work done every three months. I hated going there, it reminded me of the time I first encountered Bergen Regional, which was when I was confined to the psychiatric ward for several weeks in 2003. I had been involved with Annie Armstrong and was in love with her to the point of obsession. I have written about that period in my life below. ========================= After I ceased seeing Annie, I started working as an independent insurance broker and using the apartment I rented in Rutherford NJ as a home office. During this period I wasn't seeing any doctors. That changed when my father introduced me to Dr. Mark Charles, whose office is in New City NY. But at some point prior to that meeting, I applied for Social Security. Could it have been before I spent time as an in-patient at Bergen Regional that I applied for Social Security? The honest truth is I cannot remember that far back. I am trying to convey my experiences as truthfully as possible, but my write-ups suggest that I am a poor historian... I know definitely that I had applied for S.S. at the time when I still lived in Rutherford, as I can recall being sent on all sorts of journeys to various doctors and testing facilities. In one of my applications for S.S.D.I., I had made a complaint of eye troubles, and for that they sent me to an office somewhere in Bergen County, I can't remember where - but I remember jumping for joy because now, I thought, I could finally meet a doctor who observe the physical condition of my eyes and see, up close and personal, what ailed me. However, much to my dismay I did not meet a person at all, but was ushered into a room where I was tested by a machine which measured the range of my visual restrictions. After this I ultimately received a letter informing me that, while my range of vision was limited in some respects, as I have some difficulty looking both up and down, it was not to an extent that it should be considered disabling. It was only at the time of the Financial Crisis of 2006, when I had experienced some mental difficulties of a more acute nature, that I met Kathleen Hildebrand, the social worker who serves Rutherford's needy and she worked with my parents to get me moved to New Milford NJ. ========================= Like most applicants for Social Security, my case was initially declined. Then my mother and I found Binder and Binder, I can't recall where they were located but I know it was in Jersey somewhere off of Route 46. Towards the end of 2008, still living in New Milford and about six months after being declined by S.S., I developed a seizure disorder and suddenly I was back at Bergen Regional. There I met Dr. Howard Maker who gave me a thorough neurological examination and it was his report to Social Security, which was entered into evidence at my hearing in Newark in 2009, stating that I have obliquely displaced double vision and an abduction of right gaze, which got me approved for Social Security Disability benefits. I'm not a doctor, but I can report that a few physicians I have shared this story with have suggested that it is extremely improbable that I should develop a seizure disorder fifteen years after the car accident where I suffered a diffuse brain injury and if they only knew as to how crucial my seizure was to my being eligible for benefits, I believe they would find it even more compelling. Truthfully, I believe the hand of God was at work, and that I developed a seizure disorder to put me in front of a neurologist who could accurately assess my condition. Now, does this story sound as improbable to you as it does to me?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home