Tuesday, December 04, 2018

Ephemera of the writing of Postmodern Christianity

In the Fall of 1994, when I was sharing a room with Amar Kakodkar at Bard College in Annandale, New York, I had a dream of a Golden Book titled Postmodern Christianity. I kept this dream to myself for the time, although it moved me deeply. During my Senior Year I approached Bruce Chilton, a Religious Studies professor at Bard and related the experience of the dream and asked him if I could write it as an independent study. He pointed out some parallel between my dream and Joseph Smith's dream of the Book of Mormon several hundred years previously, pretty much in the same geographical location. I worked on this book, really only a partially complete paper, during the final term at Bard; it had a concluding chapter which I have deleted, as I felt it did not measure up and because I accepted the ancient Chinese Buddhist dictum that 'incompleteness reflects perfection.' It was my attempt to conceive a new religion, or perhaps a gentle re-working of Christianity, parts of which were revealed to me within the dream of the Golden Book, which I felt uncomfortable inserting within my essay, which I felt ought to be a more or less academic exercise. Anyhow the three tenets of Postmodern Christianity, which were revealed to me in the dream or, rather, downloaded into my conscious mind the morning after the dream-experience is that one, the disavowal of the Virgin Birth and, furthermore, (although it pains me to write this now, so sacrilegious it appears to me) a denial in the resurrection of Jesus Christ (that Jesus lived as a man and was a man only) and finally, a disbelief in existence of an immanent realm called Hell. I have learned, since the writing of my thesis, that the Muslims also deny the Virgin Birth and I was very interested in reading Nietzsche's critique of the theologian David Strauss, who voiced the general opinion that the Bible should be read allegorically.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home