Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Bobby "Bojangles" radio

When I first created this station in 2007, it consisted simply of two song seeds: KRIS KRISTOFFERSON'S "ME AND BOBBY MCGHEE" AND THE NITTY GRITTY DIRT BAND'S "MR. BOJANGLES" - these were the two most lonesome songs of the seventies, two poignant character studies that touched me deeply when I first heard them in the late 70s/early 80s. So I conceived this station around these two songs and my thinking was (as far as I can remember), that if my "High Time" station is meant to re-create the feel and context of the sixties, this station intends to do the same for the 1970s. IN 2010, when I was living in New Milford NJ, I decided this station should be a showcase for Bob Dylan and Janis Joplin, two people who were meant for each other if ever there was two star-crossed lovers and blues mavericks it was them two. I ALWAYS THOUGHT WERE MEANT TO BE TOGETHER, THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN THE GREATEST MUSICAL COUPLE EVER. In 2010, when I moved to Mass., I added Joan Baez and Leonard Cohen, thinking they would provide the ballast to set this station afloat and in 2016, nine years after this station's conception it took a new evolutionary step. I deleted Kristofferson's version of 'Bobby McGee' and replaced it the more popular version by Janis and I deleted the old version of 'Bojangles' in favor of the one that really spoke to me, the one by Sammy Davis Jr. I also added the artist seed "Canned Heat" because I accidentally deleted my Pandora station called "Red Wing" when I was using my mother's computer with my eyes shut. Oops, I'll never do that again ! (May 13, 2016) http://www.pandora.com/station/223925052074666158

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home