Thursday, April 12, 2007

Inspirational pieces

Does a penchant for a recording artist's first attempt at recording popular music extent to literary artists too ? Surely this is not the case. The quality of a writer's output over the course of his lifetime forms an arc that often portrays the less-than-scientific history of the novel as a work of art itself. I could argue that my lesser volumes were merely passages that had to be traveled in order to advance into a writerly persona, and onward to to that stage where I could recline in the long grass with the lions of everlasting literature. Language was a constraint to me before I built a dwelling out of words. The one indispensible figure for me is the image of God who makes all things happen, who allows me to express myself in a strength I do not have, not for today but for tomorrow....


Reclining in the long grass is not a stage which marks the absence of power, it is a summit that every writer yearns to reach and even trembles to consider, the stage when he feels his words have the power to change the world. Curiously, this is also a time in one's life when one yeanrs to exist most in conversation and his works suffers as a result. It's as if the writer is a person who seeks to exist in counter-time: at a time when it almost seems reasonable to ask why people were not crowding around to admire the power with which his artistry grasped the world - when his work shines most in progressive sequence - it is also a time when his work provided the most significant mis-steps of his artistic career. Now having abandoned the idea of using form and content as a mans of addressing the world, his later work reveals the existence of the world as a form-driven narrative. In this way the writer is consistently held up as a false prophet.


There were a few errors in my last paragraph and I shuddered as I imagined you taking me to task for these mistakes. This is a move from your new game, "It's too deep for me to understand." It's not too deep, it's too personal ! But it's clear enough what we're talking about here, that I want to be a popular writer and a writer for the ages. How am I to reconcile these two desires ? And surely isn't it more profitable to the world for me to write the story of how 9/11 came to pass, which is what I am currently doing with my blog ? But I feel that this, too, is coming to an end and that I willl soon be at work on another project. Writing more books is the most attractive work I see, but appears to me to be too reliant of the spellbinding hymns of the bourgeoisie. If my work is sheer speculation, I'd be better put to use if I just stood on the corner shouting about the Second Coming of Jesus Christ.


I have to find some way to realize a form of literature that signifies God's power, a mode of writing that way acurately recalls the values I ascribed to texts before I turned the pages. The truth is, I find myself writing today with a new strength that can only be attributed to being engaged with you, my desired audience. I have told you before that I need your responses in order to write. I can write, I can write, but I need you to point out a direction for me. You can do this with just very simple responses to my emails.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home